Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cold and Raw (Channeling Iceberg)

Cold and raw


Because it bit my finger so.


Cut them in July,

Then they will die.


You do the Hokey-Pokey

A diller, a dollar, a ten o'clock scholar!

Five for silver,

Six for gold,


Pat-a-cake

Cold and Raw



I used children's rhymes in constructing a sort of pseudo Iceberg Slim rhyme. I've got a record of Slim's where he uses rhyme schemes in his "reflections" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3RIXh9p6AQ), which I won't get into, but essentially I took the lines from the children's rhymes out of context while channeling what I remember from what some of Slim's recordings had sounded like. Using "pat-a-cake" for example, to say something to the effect of counting money( "pat" as in pat your pockets, "cake" as in Money). The sources of the children's rhymes are below and in order of the lines delivered.

1)Cold...North Wind Doth Blow

2)Cut Thistles in May

3) Fish story

4)Hokey Pokey

5) A Diller A Dollar

6) One for Sorrow

7)Pat-a-Cake

8) #1 repeated


No comments:

Post a Comment